Home » Africa and Middle East » Can foreigners own businesses in Botswana?
In terms of section 344 of the Companies Act 2016 (the Act), a foreign company carrying out business (or having a place of business) in Botswana is required to register with the Registrar of Companies as an external company (branch) or alternatively can register a local incorporated company within one month of
- 1 Can I open a business in Botswana?
- 2 How much does it cost to open a company in Botswana?
- 3 How do I get a Botswana business permit?
- 4 Can foreigners own land in Botswana?
- 5 How can I immigrate to Botswana?
- 6 How can I start a business in Botswana?
- 7 How do I register a non profit organization in Botswana?
- 8 How do I reserve a company name in Botswana?
- 9 What is a close company in Botswana?
- 10 How much is business visa in Botswana?
- 11 How much can a business visa cost?
- 12 How do I get a Botswana resident permit?
- 13 Does Botswana allow dual citizenship?
- 14 How much is a house in Botswana?
- 15 Is it safe to live in Botswana?
- 16 How long can foreigners stay in Botswana?
- 17 How can I get Botswana citizenship?
- 18 How long does it take to get a residence permit in Botswana?
- 19 What are business opportunities in Botswana?
- 20 What are the most successful small businesses?
Can I open a business in Botswana?
All businesses must be registered with the Botswana Companies and Intellectual Property Authority (CIPA). Reserving your company name and registering your business is now a single process. Business registrations can be done remotely. Visit the CIPA website to register your business.
How much does it cost to open a company in Botswana?
P360. 00 registration fee of payable upon submission and acceptance of registration documents. In case of a business, name registration form RBN 2 should be completed and submitted with a copy of the applicant’s identity document and P150. 00 registration fee.
How do I get a Botswana business permit?
Requirements for a business permit for investors
- The appropriate business permit investor application forms;
- The company share certificate;
- List of Directors;
- The Certificate of Incorporation;
- A Copy of the appropriate business license;
- 2 passport photographs of the applicant;
- A Curriculum Vitae for the applicant;
Can foreigners own land in Botswana?
Foreigners can buy property in Gaborone, Phakalane, Lobatse, F/town and some other areas outside Tribal Territories. Foreigners can also buy any freehold land or property. In Botswana it is illegal to buy unimproved land or plot unless it is freehold property.
How can I immigrate to Botswana?
Botswana Immigration requirements
- Medical report form 3.
- Application forms.
- Certified copies of a valid passport.
- Five passport type photo.
- Copy of birth certificate.
- Bank statement/balance sheet.
- Police clearance certificate.
How can I start a business in Botswana?
Procure an Industrial Licence from the Industrial Affairs Department or a trade licence from the City Council. Open a corporate bank account for the company. Obtain a Tax Identification Number (TIN) from the Botswana Revenue Service, and fill a taxpayer registration form.
How do I register a non profit organization in Botswana?
- To register a Society in Botswana, you should submit your application to the nearest local Civil and National Registration office.
- Write a Letter of Intent stating your intention to form the society.
How do I reserve a company name in Botswana?
- To Register a Business Name online, you have to submit your application through the Companies and Intellectual Property Authority (CIPA) online portal called OBRS by visiting the CIPA website:Link.
- On the website, click on “Login to OBRS” under the information bar to go to the Logon page.
What is a close company in Botswana?
“Close Corporation” is a new type of entity which does not have directors or shareholders but only members who will however have limited liability like a proprietary or public limited company. Close Corporations are however not popular. Cooperative Societies conduct business in Botswana but they are not popular.
How much is business visa in Botswana?
Single entry- for a period up to 3 months BWP500. 00(US $50) Multiple entry- for a period up to 3 months BWP 1, 000.00(US$100) Multiple entry – for a period of up to six months BWP 2,500.00(US$250)
How much can a business visa cost?
But, if you decide to take care of it by yourself, the fee for the single-entry business visa is $50, and the fee for the multiple business visas is $100. That fee excludes the telex visa and others document fees.
How do I get a Botswana resident permit?
Residence Permit Application
- Complete an application form for residence permit.
- Submit the application form to any Immigration office and pay the applicable fees.
- Check outcome from the office where you applied.
- If application is successful, a residence permit sticker will be stamped in the passport.
Does Botswana allow dual citizenship?
Born in Botswana or outside Botswana and one of your parents is a citizen of Botswana at the time of your birth. You can also be on dual citizenship if you were born by foreign citizens who later acquired Botswana citizenship and registered you as a citizen of Botswana before attaining the age of twenty one (21).
How much is a house in Botswana?
In the first quarter of 2019, the average price of residential property rose by 11.4% to BWP 852,529 (US$78,430) from the same period last year, according to Bank of Botswana’s Monetary Policy Report October 2019. Quarter-on-quarter, residential property prices rose 11.1% in Q1 2019.
Is it safe to live in Botswana?
Safety and Security in Botswana
Expatriates living in Botswana enjoy a low crime rate in comparison to other African and even some Western countries. There is some theft and petty crime, however, and expats should exercise a normal amount of caution when going about their daily lives.
How long can foreigners stay in Botswana?
Foreign nationals are allowed to stay in Botswana for a period of 90 days without applying for a residence or work permit. If visitors want to stay in Botswana for longer than 90 days, they will have to apply for an extension to stay beyond the validity period.
How can I get Botswana citizenship?
- Completed Certificate for Naturalization (Form L)
- Two recent coloured passport size photos.
- Two certified copies of valid Botswana residence permit.
- Completed set of police report forms.
- Certified copy of birth certificate.
- Certified copy of marriage certificate and copy of spouse’s citizenship status (if applicable)
How long does it take to get a residence permit in Botswana?
Thirty (30) working days to complete. The cost to apply for the residence permit is BWP 1500.00.
What are business opportunities in Botswana?
- Tourism Industry. One of the industries through which you can kick-start your business in Botswana is forming your travel and tourism business.
- Business and Financial Service Industry.
- Manufacturing Industry.
- Energy Industry.
- Health Industry.
- Agriculture Industry.
- Mining Industry.
- Automotive Industry.
What are the most successful small businesses?
Most profitable small businesses
- Auto repair. Taking a car to the shop for even simple repairs can be a challenge.
- Food trucks.
- Car wash services.
- Electronics repair.
- IT support.
- Personal trainers.
- Newborn and post-pregnancy services.
- Enrichment activities for children.
About Trevor Zboncak
Trevor Zboncak is a bit of an old grump, but he's also one of the kindest people you'll ever meet. He loves to travel and see new places, but he's not a fan of airports or long flights. Trevor has been all over the world, and he has some amazing stories to tell. He's also a great photographer, and his pictures will take your breath away.