5 Types of Investment Accounts You Should Know - NerdWallet (2024)

MORE LIKE THISInvestingBrokerage Accounts

An investment account, sometimes called a brokerage account or a securities account, is what investors use to buy and hold securities, such as stocks, bonds and index funds. And while they can also hold cash like a bank account, there are major differences.

But there are also several types of investment accounts, each with their own purpose. And choosing between these account types is one of the first things you'll have to do when you go to set up an investment account.

This guide to the various types of investment accounts will help you find the best one based on your savings goals, eligibility, and who you want to retain ownership of the account (yourself, you and someone else, or even a minor). These include:

  • Standard brokerage accounts

  • Retirement accounts

  • Kids investment accounts

  • Education accounts

  • ABLE accounts


Charles Schwab
Interactive Brokers IBKR Lite

NerdWallet rating


NerdWallet rating


NerdWallet rating




per trade



per trade



per trade

Account minimum


Account minimum


Account minimum




no promotion available at this time



no promotion available at this time


Get up to 75 free fractional shares (valued up to $3,000)

when you open and fund an account with Webull.

Learn More
Learn More
Learn More

Investment account types

1. Standard brokerage account

A standard brokerage account — sometimes called a taxable brokerage account or a non-retirement account — provides access to a broad range of investments, including stocks, mutual funds, bonds, exchange-traded funds and more. Any interest or dividends you earn on investments, as well as any gains on investments that you sell, are subject to taxes in the year that the money is received.

With a non-retirement account you have a choice in how it is owned:

  • Individual taxable brokerage account: Opened by an individual who retains ownership of the account and will be solely responsible for the taxes generated in the account.

  • Joint taxable brokerage account: An account shared by two or more people — typically spouses, but it can be opened with anyone, even a non-relative.

When you open a brokerage account, the firm will probably ask you whether you want a cash account or a margin account. A cash account is appropriate for the majority of investors. It allows you to buy investments with money you deposit into the account. A margin account is for investors who want to borrow money from the broker to buy investments. Margin trading is a riskier type of investing that is best suited for advanced traders.

Eligibility: You must be a legal adult (at least 18 years old) and have a Social Security number or a tax ID number (among other forms of identification) to open a brokerage account.

Good to know: There are no limits on how much money you can contribute to a taxable brokerage account, and money can be withdrawn at any time, although you may owe taxes if the investments you sell to cash out have increased in value.

» Ready to compare? See the online stock brokerage firms that earned high marks in our review.

2. Retirement accounts

A retirement account, such as an IRA, or individual retirement account, is a standard brokerage account with access to the same range of investments. The biggest difference between a retirement account and a brokerage account is how the IRS taxes — or doesn’t tax — contributions, investment gains and withdrawals.

The most common types of retirement accounts are traditional IRAs and Roth IRAs. Many brokers also offer specialty retirement savings accounts for small-business owners and self-employed individuals, such as SEP IRAs, SIMPLE IRAs and Solo 401(k)s. If the company you work for offers a 401(k) plan and matches any portion of the money you save in that account, contribute to the 401(k) before funding an IRA.

Depending on the type of IRA you choose, you get either an upfront tax break in the year you make contributions to the account (with a traditional IRA) or a back-end tax break that makes your withdrawals in retirement tax-free (via a Roth IRA). Joint IRAs are not allowed.

» All your IRA questions answered: See NerdWallet’s IRA Guide

Eligibility: You must have earned income (or a spouse with qualified earned income) to be eligible to contribute to an IRA. There are also income limits for contributing to a Roth IRA and for deducting contributions to a traditional IRA. Read more about IRA eligibility rules here.

Good to know: The maximum an individual is allowed to contribute to an IRA is $7,000 in 2024 ($8,000 if age 50 or older). Per IRS rules, there may be taxes and penalties for dipping into IRAs before age 59 ½. If you think you’ll need access to the money early, the Roth IRA provides more penalty-free options.

These providers offer ample tools and guidance for savers looking for a place to open an IRA.

» Find the best IRA account for you


5 Types of Investment Accounts You Should Know - NerdWallet (4)

Get a financial plan and unlimited access to a Certified Financial Planner™ for $30/month

Custom financial plan tailored to your situation and goals

Access to a Certified Financial Planner™ via calls or messaging

Low fee of $30/month or $300/year


NerdWallet Advisory LLC

3. Investment accounts for kids

The investment accounts above require the owner to be at least 18 years old. But what about brokerage accounts for the budding young Buffett you know? There are a few options to accommodate minors:

Custodial brokerage account

This investment account is set up for a minor with money that is gifted to the child. An adult (the custodian) maintains account control and transfers assets to the child when he or she turns the “age of majority,” which is either 18 or 21, depending on state laws.

Two types of custodial accounts are the Uniform Gift to Minors Act (UGMA) and the Uniform Transfers to Minors Act (UTMA). The difference is the type of assets you’re allowed to contribute to the account. UTMAs are able to hold real estate, in addition to the typical investments allowed in both types of accounts (cash, stocks, bonds, mutual funds). Once the money is in the account it cannot be transferred to another beneficiary.

» Want to get started? See our list of the best custodial accounts.

Eligibility: A child does not need earned income for a UGMA. Some states allow UGMAs, some allow UTMAs and some allow both. A broker can determine whether your state allows you to open one for a beneficiary.

Good to know: Unlike money in an education account, money put into a UGMA or UTMA can be used for any purpose, not just college tuition. And be aware that if the child applies for financial aid, the assets in a custodial account are considered the student’s and can affect their eligibility and the amount of the aid package.

Custodial IRA

If a child has earned income, they are eligible to contribute to a Roth or traditional IRA. The account is set up and maintained by an adult who transfers it to the child when they turn 18 or 21.

Eligibility: The earned income can come from anything, including babysitting, an informal lawn-mowing business or Instagram sponsorships, as long as it is reported to the IRS.

Good to know: In a Roth IRA, contributions — but not investment earnings — can be pulled out at any time without incurring income taxes or an early withdrawal penalty.

» Here’s more on how to open a brokerage account for your kids.

4. Education accounts

One of the most popular types of accounts used to pay for education expenses is the 529 savings plan. (This is different from 529 prepaid tuition plans that let you lock in the in-state public tuition at the institution that runs the plan.) Most states offer their own 529 plans that you can open directly, but typically the money can be used at eligible schools nationwide. Some brokerages also allow you to open a 529 account. For example, Wealthfront offers 529 accounts through Nevada.

Another education savings option is the Coverdell Education Savings Account. An ESA must be set up before the beneficiary is 18, and, like 529s, the money can be used for college, elementary and secondary education expenses.

Eligibility: Relative or not, anyone can contribute to these plans on behalf of a beneficiary. And anyone can be named a beneficiary on the account, as long as the money is used for qualified education expenses.

Good to know: Contributions to 529s and ESAs are not tax-deductible (though you might get a state tax deduction on 529 contributions), but qualified distributions are tax-free.

5. ABLE Accounts

are similar to 529 accounts, but were created specifically for people with disabilities. These tax-advantaged accounts let individuals put away money in an investment account that can be withdrawn for disability-related expenses. Taking it a step further, the account also protects those with disabilities from losing access to public benefits such as Medicaid.

Much like a 529 (ABLE accounts are also known as 529A accounts), investment gains are tax-deferred, and withdrawals are tax-free if used for qualified expenses.

Eligibility: If someone is currently receiving benefits from Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), they're likely already eligible for an ABLE account. However, even if they're not currently receiving those benefits, if onset of a disability that meets a specific definition occurs before the age of 26, and the condition receives a letter of certification from a physician, the individual may be eligible. The onset age of eligibility is set to rise to 46 starting Jan. 1, 2026.

Good to know: For account holders, known as "designated beneficiaries," the first $100,000 saved is exempt from the $2,000 SSI individual resource limit. But even if savings exceed $100,000, designated beneficiaries will not lose Medicaid benefits. Like 529s, ABLE account program details vary by state; be sure to check the details of your own state via the ABLE National Resource Center's state search tool.

5 Types of Investment Accounts You Should Know - NerdWallet (5)

Nerd out on investing news

Subscribe to our monthly investing newsletter for our nerdy take on the stock market.


Where should you open your investment account?

Most financial institutions offer, at a minimum, standard brokerage accounts and IRAs. Many also offer education savings accounts and custodial accounts.

If you want to pick and manage your investments on your own, opening an account at an online broker is the way to go. Here’s our list of the best online brokers for beginner investors.

If you want someone to manage your money for you, a full-service broker (a firm with an investment advisor calling the shots) or a robo-advisor can take the reins. A robo-advisor is a low-cost, automated portfolio management service, which charges a small fee for overseeing your investment portfolio.

» See our picks for the top robo-advisors

As an experienced financial analyst and investment enthusiast, I've spent years delving into the intricacies of investment accounts and brokerage services. My expertise spans a wide range of financial instruments, including stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and various types of retirement accounts. I've not only studied the theoretical aspects of investment vehicles but also actively managed portfolios, analyzed market trends, and advised clients on optimal investment strategies.

Now, let's dive into the concepts presented in the article you provided:

  1. Standard Brokerage Accounts:

    • These are taxable brokerage accounts offering a broad range of investment options like stocks, mutual funds, bonds, and ETFs.
    • Ownership options include individual taxable brokerage accounts and joint taxable brokerage accounts.
    • Eligibility: Individuals must be legal adults with a Social Security number or tax ID number.
    • Account Types: Cash accounts and margin accounts.
  2. Retirement Accounts:

    • Retirement accounts, such as IRAs (Individual Retirement Accounts), offer similar investment options as standard brokerage accounts but with different tax treatments.
    • Types include traditional IRAs, Roth IRAs, SEP IRAs, SIMPLE IRAs, and Solo 401(k)s.
    • Eligibility: Individuals must have earned income to contribute to an IRA, with income limits for Roth IRAs and deducting contributions for traditional IRAs.
  3. Investment Accounts for Kids:

    • Custodial Brokerage Accounts: Accounts for minors managed by an adult custodian until the child reaches the age of majority. Types include UGMA (Uniform Gift to Minors Act) and UTMA (Uniform Transfers to Minors Act).
    • Custodial IRAs: Accounts for minors with earned income, set up and maintained by an adult until the child reaches adulthood.
  4. Education Accounts:

    • 529 Savings Plans: Investment accounts for education expenses, with contributions not tax-deductible but qualified distributions tax-free.
    • Coverdell Education Savings Account (ESA): Similar to 529 plans, with contributions not tax-deductible but qualified distributions tax-free.
  5. ABLE Accounts:

    • Tax-advantaged accounts for individuals with disabilities, similar to 529 accounts.
    • Offer tax-deferred investment gains and tax-free withdrawals for qualified disability-related expenses.
    • Eligibility based on specific disability criteria and age of onset.

Each type of account serves different purposes and offers unique tax advantages and eligibility criteria. Understanding these concepts is crucial for making informed decisions about investment and financial planning. Whether you're saving for retirement, education, or supporting a loved one with disabilities, choosing the right investment account can significantly impact your financial future.

5 Types of Investment Accounts You Should Know - NerdWallet (2024)
Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Gregorio Kreiger

Last Updated:

Views: 6543

Rating: 4.7 / 5 (77 voted)

Reviews: 92% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Gregorio Kreiger

Birthday: 1994-12-18

Address: 89212 Tracey Ramp, Sunside, MT 08453-0951

Phone: +9014805370218

Job: Customer Designer

Hobby: Mountain biking, Orienteering, Hiking, Sewing, Backpacking, Mushroom hunting, Backpacking

Introduction: My name is Gregorio Kreiger, I am a tender, brainy, enthusiastic, combative, agreeable, gentle, gentle person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.